COVID-19 help, support and FAQs
Opening Times : Monday - Friday 09:00 - 20:00 and Saturday - Sunday 09:00 - 16:00

Temporary Car Insurance

We all want cheap car insurance, try us today and see how much money you could save on your car insurance.

Benefits of Car insurance policies

  •  Instant Cover
  •  Fully Comprehensive Cover
  •  Flexible Cover (from 1-84 days)
  •  Won't affect your No Claims Bonus (NCB)
  •  24 Hour Claims Team
  •  UK Contact Centres
  •  Optional Uninsured Loss Service
  •  Optional European Cover

Getting you the best car insurance quotes

A typical car insurance policy lasts for 12 months. That’s great if you use your car frequently, but not so great if you’re an infrequent user or only have access to a particular car for a short period of time. In this scenario you might only require insurance for one day, a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

That’s where temporary car insurance comes in; enabling you to insure a car for the exact duration you require, from a minimum of one day to a maximum of 84 days, it could save you a small fortune compared to the cost of taking out an annual policy.

One Call Insurance introduces business to Safely Insured. When you take out a policy with Safely Insured, we will receive a commission for the introduction to them. This could be a percentage of the premium or a fixed fee depending on the cover taken. If you have any issues with the cover you have purchased via Safely Insured, please contact them directly via phone on 0333 234 1611 or by email at

Car insurance policy features

When you buy temporary car insurance through Safely Insured, you’ll have access to a whole host of features and benefits, these include:

Fully comprehensive cover

As standard fully comprehensive temporary car insurance is provided. This ensures you’re covered should you be involved in an at-fault accident, fire or theft and not simply in instances where a third-party is at fault.

Instant cover

Safely Insured offer temporary car insurance with instant cover (subject to a 15 minute delay). It’s great if time is against you, they’ll even email you confirmation of your cover so you know you’re good to go. Alternatively, you can select a specific start time.

Learner Driver Cover

Safely Insured can offer cover to learners aged 17 to 25 if they are looking to learn in their own vehicle. This cover is available from 1 to 5 months, or, as an annual policy. For those learners that don't yet own their own vehicle, providers can offer cover for 1 to 140 days, this cover is available to learners aged 17 to 30.

Won’t affect your No Claims Discount (NCD)

Insuring your car on a temporary policy won’t put your hard earned No Claims Discount (NCD) at risk. You also won’t have the hassle of obtaining proof of NCD from a previous insurer as it simply isn’t required.

Flexible cover from 1 – 84 days

You can buy temporary car insurance for the exact number of days that you require it, whether that be just a single day, a whole weekend or even a couple of weeks. However, the period of cover must be for a minimum duration of one day and cannot exceed 84 days.

Furthermore, if you initially buy temporary car insurance for a week, you’ll have the flexibility that allows you to quickly and easy extend it by a day, a few days or even a week if needed.

Optional European cover

When buying temporary car insurance, you’ll have the option to extend your cover for use in Europe. It’s great if you’re off for a weekend in Paris or you’re embarking on a multi-stop European road-trip.

Further information...

If you need to insure a car, but only plan on driving it occasionally or have access to it for just a couple of days, temporary car insurance could save you a small fortune as you won’t be paying for days on cover that you don’t need. Specifically, temporary car insurance might be suitable if:
  • You use your car infrequently - You use your car infrequently. For example, if you work away for long periods of time or have access to a company vehicle, you might not use your own car for weeks or even months on end. However, when you do need to use it and if that use is only required for a day, a couple of days or a week, opting for a temporary policy will ensure you don’t fork out lots of money on cover that you simply don’t need.
  • You’re due to test drive a new car - If you’re buying a new car, the dealership might require you to sort out your own insurance before allowing you to take it for a test drive. Alternatively, you might simply prefer the peace of mind of knowing you have your own insurance rather than being reliant on the dealership’s insurance.
  • You need to borrow a car from a family member or friend - You may need to borrow a car from a family member or friend for a variety of reasons. For example, while yours is in the garage for repairs or if it isn’t suitable for a particular occasion. In this scenario, temporary car insurance can be both cheaper and less hassle than simply asking the vehicle owner to add you to their policy as a named driver.
  • You own a second car - If you have a second car and you use it infrequently. For example, a classic convertible that you only drive during summer.
  • You’re learning to drive - If you’re learning to drive, taking out temporary car insurance could reduce the hassle and save you money when compared to the cost of being added to an existing policy. It also ensures that the existing policy’s No Claims Discount (NCD) isn’t affected in the event of an accident.
  • You’ve been caught up in an emergency - If in an emergency you are left having to take over the driving from someone else, temporary car insurance can provide a quick and hassle free means of getting cover in place before you jump behind the wheel.

In order for us to provide you with a quote for temporary car insurance you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are aged 19 – 75 (or from 17+ if you’re a learner driver).
  • You have a permanent address (proof may be required in the event of a claim being made under your temporary insurance policy).
  • Your licence is within date and has been issued within the UK, EU, EEA, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand. You must also have held your licence for a minimum of three months (increases to six months for under 25s).
  • You have had no more than two fault claims in the last three years (this includes instances where a claim has been declined or where you notified an insurer of an incident, but chose not to claim).
  • Your licence shows no more than nine penalty points and you haven’t been disqualified from driving within the prior 18 months.
  • You haven’t received a licence endorsement containing one of the following prefixes within the last 3 years: DR, CD, DD, UT or DG.
  • You haven’t, in the last 6 months, received a licence endorsement containing one of the following prefixes: IN or CU80.
  • You haven’t received any kind of criminal conviction within the last 5 years (this includes pending prosecutions and police enquiries).
  • Your vehicle isn’t impounded.

UK law dictates that a motor vehicle must either be insured or SORN. So, for example, if you have temporarily insured a car, upon the expiration of the insurance policy you must either extend it, take out a new policy or SORN your car (effectively declaring it off road). There is no grace period or in-between. If you fail to meet this legal obligation, you could be handed a fine of up to £1,000.

Do you want more insurance?

Did you know we also insure homes, motorcycles and vans? Instead of searching online, just take a look at how we could help:
Home insurance
Home Insurance

Do you own or rent a house? We have a range of insurers on out panel to give you the best possible cover.

See Home Insurance
bike insurance
Bike Insurance

Do you ride a motorbike, scooter or moped? We have a wide range of insurers on our panel to give you the best possible cover.

See Bike Insurance
van insurance
Van Insurance

If you drive a van and not a car but want personal van insurance for social use only we can give you the cover you need.

See Van Insurance