IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Help & Support Updated on 22nd May 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Help & Support
Updated on 22nd May 2020

Scooter Insurance

We all want cheap scooter insurance, try us today and see how much money you could save on your scooter insurance.

Benefits of our Scooter insurance policies

  •  FREE Breakdown Membership
  •  FREE Motor Legal Cover
  •  European Cover
  •  Flexible Deposit and Excess
  •  24 Hour Claims Service
  •  UK Call Centres

Getting you our best scooter insurance quotes

One Call Insurance acts as a comparison site at new business and will compare prices from our own panel of insurers which offers a fair analysis of the market, and that of If we can't provide you with the best quotation then we will show you the best available elsewhere!

If you choose an alternative to One Call then you will be transferred away from our website. We offer a non-advised service to our consumers which just means we cannot provide a recommendation, however we will provide you with enough information to be able to make an informed decision

Scooters aren't for everyone, but they are one of the cheapest ways to get around; often stylish, reliable, less polluting than cars and capable of delivering in excess of 100mpg; they're great for commuting to and from work in congested inner cities. They're not too bad when it comes to insurance either, with the cost to insure often working out several times cheaper than comparable cover for a car.

Whether you're looking to insure a moped (anything below 50cc) or a scooter (anything over 50cc), start your journey by comparing scooter insurance quotes from our panel of specialist insurers. Quick, easy and hassle free, comparing ensures you get the right scooter insurance policy at the best price.

Scooter insurance policy features

When you compare and buy scooter insurance with One Call Insurance, you will get the following:

Free Breakdown Membership

All our Moped and Scooter insurance policies come with free basic breakdown cover as standard, with the option to upgrade to an enhanced level of cover for those who need it. With a standalone value of £39, it not only saves you time and money, but also eliminates the hassle of having to manage two separate payments, companies and renewals.

Free Motor Legal Cover

Free Motor Legal Cover comes as standard when you buy scooter insurance from One Call Insurance, it entitles you to legal advice and a hire vehicle if you are involved in an accident while riding your scooter. It also enables you to receive a speedy referral to a solicitor if needed. However, it’s important to note that this doesn’t incorporate personal injury cover.

24 Hour claims service

Scooter accidents, fires and thefts can happen any time of day or night. That’s ultimately why our claims team are on hand to take your call and begin processing any necessary scooter insurance claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

No Claims Discount (NCD)

You can transfer your existing NCD across to take advantage of huge discounts on scooter insurance. Alternatively, if you don’t yet have a NCD, you can begin earning it by clocking up one or more years’ of claim free driving.

Further information...

As with car, van and motorbike insurance, there are three different levels of scooter insurance to choose from. These are:

    Comprehensive – Comprehensive scooter insurance provides the highest level of cover you can obtain in the UK. It incorporates all the cover provided under a Third Party, Fire & Theft policy, but also includes repair or replacement cover in the event that your scooter is damaged in an at-fault accident.

    Third Party, Fire & Theft – Third Party, Fire & Theft scooter insurance includes the same cover as you’d find under a Third Party Only policy, but also incorporates fire and theft cover. So, if your scooter is damaged or destroyed as a result, you will be able to claim for costs associated with the repair or replacement. If your scooter is stolen and unrecoverable, it will cover the cost of a replacement.

    Third Party Only – Third Party Only scooter insurance provides cover that meets the minimum legal requirement for riding a scooter on the road in the UK. It covers repair or replacements costs if you’re at-fault in an accident where a third party vehicle is damaged or destroyed, along with medical expenses to cover the cost of treating injuries sustained by third parties. However, it doesn’t provide cover for the cost of repairing or replacing your scooter.

Aside from the basic cover that is provided under a scooter insurance policy, some insurers include added benefits while others offer them in the form of add-ons for a small additional cost. These tend to include:

Driving other scooters – Some scooter insurers automatically provide cover for you to drive other scooters. However, a number of terms and restrictions will likely apply. For example, some insurers impose restrictions on the type and power of scooter that you can drive and the level of cover will almost certainly be restricted to Third Party Only.

International cover – International cover is offered by almost all scooter insurers. However, it won’t necessarily be automatically added to your policy and you should therefore check before travelling. It’s also important to note that some restrictions will apply and an additional cost may be incurred. The exception to this is European cover, which comes as standard across our panel of scooter insurers.

Helmet and leathers – Most scooter insurers offer helmet and leathers cover as an add-on for an additional cost. It’s worth noting that this type of cover will often also come with its own excess, in addition to any excess that might apply to claims made under the main policy.

Just like car, van and bike insurance, scooter insurance is a legal requirement in accordance with the Road Traffic Act of 1998, the only exception being if your scooter is SORN (in other words; registered as not being in use).

Before you can ride a scooter or a moped on the road, you’ll need to have applied for and received your provisional driving licence and completed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you can do so from the age of 16. Meanwhile, if you have a full car licence, you’ll automatically have provisional entitlement to drive a scooter, but will still need to complete your CBT.

Once complete, your CBT lasts for two years and enables you to ride a scooter up to 50cc if you’re aged 16 and up to 125cc if you’re aged 17 or over. In both cases you must have L plates and are prohibited from riding on the motorway and carrying a pillion passenger.

To obtain a full licence, you’ll need to pass a theory test and two additional practical tests (on-road and off-road). If your CBT runs out before you pass, you can retake it in order to allow you to continue riding on your provisional licence. For more information, visit GOV.UK.

With a few exceptions such as zero emissions vehicles, if you drive or ride on the road you will need to pay your way in road tax. The good news is that taxing a scooter can work out considerably cheaper than taxing a car. For example, taxing a scooter with a power rating of up to 125cc will cost you just £17 for 12 months.

To the untrained eye, scooters and mopeds might look very similar, if not identical, but there are some key differences that you should be aware of:

Mopeds – Mopeds have a power rating of 50cc or under and are essentially low-powered scooters. They can be ridden by anyone over the age of 16, typically have bigger wheels and are often cheaper to buy and insure than scooters as a result of their reduced power outputs.

Scooters – Scooters range in power from 50cc right up to 125cc and can only be driven by those over the age of 17. They typically have smaller wheels than mopeds and are generally more expensive to buy and insure given their increased power outputs.

Go for a moped rather than a scooter - Power wise, mopeds are only rated up to 50cc in comparison to scooters which can be rated up to 125cc and as a result are often cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure.

Transfer your No Claims Discount (NCD) - If you’ve already earned a scooter NCD on another policy, most insurers will allow you to transfer it across to take advantage of huge discounts. However, in order to do this, your NCD must not remain in use on another insurance policy.

Compare scooter insurance quotes - The only way you will ever know if the price you’ve been quoted for scoter insurance is competitive is to compare it against quotes from other insurers. That’s what we do at One Call insurance, we gather your details and scour our panel to find you the right cover at the best price, it’s quick, simple, hassle free, and could save you a small fortune.

Don’t purchase your scooter policy at the very last minute – Purchasing your scooter insurance policy right at the last minute isn’t going to do you any favours from a pricing perspective. Some insurers load the price of their policies, making them more expensive when the start date falls within a few days of when you obtain the quote, compared to when the start date is a few weeks away, for example. With this in mind, it makes sense to purchase your policy a couple of weeks or so before the start date.

Do you want more insurance?

Did you know we also insure homes, motorcycles and vans? Instead of searching online, just take a look at how we could help:
gap insurance
GAP Insurance

Avoid a potential short fall by taking our NEW competitive GAP Insurance. Get a fast and simple quote today!

See GAP Insurance
home insurance
Home Insurance

Get the best level of insurance to suit your needs. Be it just Contents only, Buildings only or combined Buildings & Contents cover.

See Home Insurance
Van Insurance

If you drive a van and not a car but want personal van insurance for social use only we can give you the cover you need.

See Van Insurance